Sunday, December 02, 2007

On Line

12:45 PM - I am standing in line at The Lincoln Plaza Theater. They know me here. Well, they don’t. But I feel like maybe they should. It’s kind of my favorite theater. I was hoping to sit in the lobby and type, but the line was forming fast and furious. So I got on it. The woman behind me just told me I’m smart, bringing the lap top. I replied that I was hoping to sit and she said I could and she’d save my spot, but I said what it is it is and now I’ll stand.

The diving bell line
Right next to the savages
Across from Margot

This theater plays the good movies that everyone I’m friends with likes but the rest of America doesn’t. I was torn between two movies and chose. The third film that the crowds are clamoring for here (really) is Margot At The Wedding, but I think I don’t want to see that anymore.

About yesterday
We were all over fifty
My line mate explains

The woman behind me says that yesterday she saw The Savages and it was a crowd of people that could relate to or had not long ago related to the events in the movie. Then she added the sentiments in the following haiku:

It was more gruesome
Then I was led to believe
Those Savages were

She just got chastised for leaving a space behind her. She’s moved back, leaning against a beam and a guy has moved in to her spot but assures her he won’t steal it. He takes one look at my lap top and gets all excited that there’s wireless:

There is wireless?
He asks, and makes me wonder
Does no-one just write?

When the woman told me about having seen The Savages, another woman started questioning her, saying she was afraid she couldn't handle it. When the other woman says it'll be fine as long as she doesn't take her mother, she tells her the news. And when the other woman says it's about sibling relationship the other woman (who's sitting on the couch while her husband stands and marks her spot on line) says - I don't have any of those either. This serves as a conversation stopper.

“Comedy of life”
One stranger to another
And it resonates

Don’t take your mother
Oh, my mother has passed on
No siblings either

What strangers will share
Without a thought or a care
Standard art film fare

I bought this book years ago, on sale at The Strand. I wanted to get into it, but couldn't/didn't.

I bought the thin book
And I started to read it
Now I’ll watch the film

I am wondering about the metaphor. I guess the film will clear it up.

I don’t quite get it
Diving bell or butterfly
Yet I stand and wait

There's a woman and her son on line. She's in line and he's bopping around. He just bought a ham sandwich and some popcorn. Their dynamic is intriguing.

Young rebel to mom
This movie better be good
But I know it won’t

3 Comments:

Blogger kishke said...

Haiku to be had
Just by standing on a line
At the theater.

They're writing themselves
In the lives of your line mates
You're in the moment.

December 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM  
Blogger Chana said...

I enjoy your description of what it's like to be standing in line with others. Fun to interact with people. :-)

December 3, 2007 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

December 3, 2007 at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home