Sunday, December 02, 2007

3 HOTD +

Each and everyone
With their own anxieties
Welcome to this world
.
Each with their own joy
Less immortalized perhaps
Just as true as pain
.
Like everyone else
My soul also thirsts for G-d
Some way and some how


My life's been feeling busy. Last week I wrote three tests. One was postponed due to a last minute school trip for senors to hear Rav Aharon Lichtenstein. Tests are a major thing - reviewing and writing and administering till everyone's done and and and. Two tests this week. Grades were due last week - what about the incompletes? What about the try hards with the low grades? My heart aches for the try hards. Recommendations, recommendations, then a few more.

Shabbos without a nap. Motzai Shabbos spoke at a bat mitzvah of a dear friend's dear daughter. This week my spaces were filled with Steve Martin. It's been a while since a book pulled me in so. Almost no-one pulls me in like Steve. One memorable line - great is easy, good is hard. He says that serendipity will see to it that at some point a great one happens. But making a show good on a regular basis is in control of the performer. This is a profound truth for life - though you hit great now and then, good is hard. It's especially true when you present in front of a crowd.

This was true for me last night - I felt bad having to kill my darlings, but I did the right thing. The acoustics and the crowd were not making it easy, so I didn't insult the audience, didn't shush them, didn't mention the mic, I just cut cut cut and ended asap so the crowd got a good presentation because a poor one was a looming possibility and what would have felt to me like a great one was out of the question.

Wishing everyone a great day.
k
PS - This original song played on the radio as I wrote this and I enjoyed it big time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shabbos without a nap.

Reminds me of the line:

Tennis without a net.

(Which reportedly Robert Frost used to describe "free verse.")

December 11, 2007 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I think those three fit together nicely -

Shabbos without a nap,
Tennis without a net,
Free verse

I think this is a stanza. Can I keep her. Pleeeaasssse!

December 11, 2007 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home