Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Just For Today (Click For Link)

Sometimes words, phrases, whole ideas become mainstream cliche's. And when that happens there arises the risk of these important truths being forgotten. One day at a time is such a phrase. So many thoughts and voices live in my head, so many worries and plans. But the truth of taking things one bite at a time makes sense and works for me. This phrase is my mantra for today.

Why did the seven years of work for Rachel feel like days for Yaakov? He loved her so much - shouldn't they have felt like a million years? Perhaps the answer comes from a simple translation of the text, "and they were in his eyes as individual days." Rather than getting overwhelmed by thinking about the whole seven years (which then would have emotionally multiplied exponentially) Yaakov took the years one day at a time. (- Rabbi Abraham Twerski)

------------------------------

The following haiku are hot off the diary. I am torn about explaining. Billy Collins says that if cryptic poems turn poetry into a synonym for poor communication. That's not good for poetry or poets or plain people. So I will refrain from the temptation to explain. I ask of you to try to understood. Let me know what you think

------------------------------
Pushing and pulling
Loving, hating, staying, gone
As for me, my prayer
------------------------------
The leaves send Morse code
"It is windy and rainy"
I sway and spectate
------------------------------
Choose which direction
It is very hard to know
Within just one road
------------------------------

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the haikus. Especially the leaves send Morse code.

June 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks. Images are an amazing thing, the way they send you away from the thing you're studying and then back so you now see it more clearly.

June 22, 2007 at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home