Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Like Stained Glass Windows

Yes, today is a snow day, my place of employment is closed. It wasn't as bad as they predicted, which seems to happen a lot. My father (HSLABW) pointed out to me - a few days ago as they were starting to build this up - that the radio announcers (probably TV too) overplay any chance of snow as a way of getting listeners.

Last night at parent teacher conferences I overheard the teacher next to me (we all sit at little cafe tables in the gym) telling the parents she was meeting with how sweet snow days are. She explained that on any other day off she fills it up with commitments but snow days are unexpected, found, free time. She always has long lines and spends a while with the parents. I usually bring her food because she doesn't break for meals.

I have mixed feelings about most things and snow days are included. I need to make order, yet I'd rather write. One of my favorite roommates ever had his own room with a lock on the door. I liked knowing someone was around but not in my face. Alone with my books and DVDs and computer and food and thoughts in my warm apartment on a cold snowy day I don't feel like cleaning up. I feel like surfing through stuff in my emotional and physical space.

Jill Sobule went to a psychiatrist just the other day and after she finished her 45 minutes of explaining her problem he handed her a prescription. The prescription read: 10 DAYS - NO INTERNET. She tried to stay off line but James Mason in a movie led her through an internet odyssey of Jews who changed their names. Two hours later she posted that she really was going to take a break. Something to think about.

WFUV is having a fundraiser day. Why do I listen when they spend most of the day soliciting?
This morning the DJ spoke about her husband and how he gets up with her at 3 every morning before her shift and makes her breakfast. Beautiful. But maybe she's setting the bar and the hopes too high for the rest of us.

Yesterday in the Hilton I woke up hours before minyan. I thought about changing the world. I clicked on the TV and Bee Season was starting. A sign. I watched part of it and was intrigued. I loved Akeela and the Bee and Spellbound. There are similarities in how they all jump cut the kids spelling in quick succession. It's amazing how dramatic spelling can be.

I'm facing the window as I type and it's snowing now the way it was supposed to snow through the night. The present DJ is playing The Power of Two after dedicating it to his wife Amy (not to be confused with the Amy singing the song). Sigh.

The snow is lovely. Less attractive is the view of the brick widow filled wall of the building next door. Reminds me of the one man who sits by the window in the home for bedridden people. Anyone remember that powerful tale?

I just spoke to a dear friend who's wife just went through the same serious surgery for the second time. Miraculously, all went well. Thank G-d that all went well. Thank G-d for true love.

Not long ago the police appeared in a friend's building. Finally she found out what the commotion was. A neighbor died. The young woman was dead for weeks and no-one knew. This shook my friend up. She called me and I listened and I told her it was OK to be affected by what happened. Yes, it would have shaken me up if someone died down the hall from me and no-one noticed till weeks later when the landlord broke the door down because the rent was grossly overdue. Mind boggling, frightening, shocking.

The Curious Jew, since she started Stern, has been posting her blow by blow descriptions of shiurim, lectures, and events. She recently described the NY premiere of the documentary about Rabbi Soloveitcik. Worth a look. Also notable is her poem inspired by a picture and a quote.

I had intended for this post to cover the entire day onto the night, but I need to go out. So I'm going to post now.

Stay warm, happy, healthy , safe. Do your best. No matter what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home