Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Just Three Posts Before I Go

.
1. On Blogging

Several friends (who know I have a blog) have told me that Hirhurim is their favorite blog. I respect that some people like a blogger who doesn't talk about himself. I think my blog confuses some, while it excites others. Black Box links to my blog regularly, as they did in tonight's program. But it might make sense to have a straight up website about my performances, etc. This eclecticness is a bit disorienting to some.


2. Tonight's Show

Pey Daled blew me away at tonight's showcase. Amazing.

Tonight's audience member's suggested word for my free style improv poem was groaning. It was longer than last night's and someone who saw both said he liked it more than last night's. Someone else who has seen several of my performances said that it's up there with her favorite improv skit - the ABC game, where I and another improviser dialogue in the order of the alphabet.

There were interviews between sets again tonight. Good questions. "Is anything taboo in my routines?" I was asked, and the answer scared me. I said that what's off limits is ultimate truth, ie that when I speak about teaching or dating or family I do generalizations and caricatures. This is the case due to halacha and ethics and respect. But the truth would be deeper, funnier, even more touching - as only pure truth can be.


3. 3 Tefila Haikus


Modim
,
Good; full of mercy
Merciful; full of kindness
Forever we yearn
.kkk
.
Al Tirah Mipachad Pit'om
,
Don't be scared of fear
Nor of bad men rising up
These things will happen
,
.,,,,
Ein Ke'Elokeinu
.
There is none like G-d
First we proclaim this with faith
Then; Who is like G-d?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Al Tirah Mipachad Pit'om

Don't be scared of fear
Nor of bad men rising up
These things will happen"

i enjoyed these t'fillah haikus. thank you.
it is interesting that you ended this one with these things will happen and not something having to do will "usu eitzah ... ki imanu kel?"

January 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

The haiku is only interpreting the line

"Al tirah mipachad pit'om u'misa'at reshaim ki tavo" -

translating ki tavo as
because these things will happen

January 24, 2007 at 11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I really like Hirhurim for the halachic and hashkafic ideas he expresses, but I find your sharing of life and your innermost thoughts to be incredibly profound.

pesach

January 25, 2007 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I very much appreciate that people like you and MSB appreciate this space.

It's funny that you (and my mother) see me as sharing my innermost thoughts here. Because I have inside information as to how much I actually hold back. On the other hand I share more than I realize or care to realize.

January 25, 2007 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Wish to realize, would have been a better way to put that. Care to realize, sounds almost like I don't care about my life and thoughts and how much I share of them. I do care. I was saying that a bit of denial as to how much I really let out helps allow me to share.

January 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Uri Cohen said...

And some of us check this blog right before or right after Hirhurim. :)

January 26, 2007 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Uri. Hirhurim mutarim.

January 28, 2007 at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home