Monday, November 13, 2006

Life :The Experimental Sonnet

Why write a poem? Why paint a picture? Why dance a dance? We choose to limit the way we express something as a way of making that expression more beautiful. When we love someone it's become a symbol of love to give flowers. Flowers are not forever like diamonds and that's the point. The flower is beautiful and fleeting like life and love. By giving something that is so delicate that it will soon disappear we point to the fragility of life. But more. We also say that I'm only giving you this as a way of saying "I love you." There's no capital gain here - you can't put flowers in the bank. There's no market for second hand flowers. It's only significance is that an I loves a you. But why bother? Why not just say "I love you like flowers." Because it's a form of expression. And so is a poem.

Over the week-end I participated in the celebration of two bar mitzvahs. I was there but not there. I was thinking the whole time, as I often do. And I was also in the moment. In and out at the same time. I was thinking about the irony of internal thoughts and how some times you can nearly miss the sad or happy occasion and just be in your own thoughts. And yet I never miss it entirely although I fear that I never experience it entirely. And I was thinking about how what I remember is a function of emotionally experiencing things very strongly and that this can be hard but also wonderful. And I was thinking about how easily I get hurt and how I try to protect myself but when I don't allow myself to be vulnerable then I decrease the chance of my growing. And I've been pondering lately the idea of hypocrisy within religiosity. It's so easy to judge but we should best leave that to G-d. And I was thinking about how some people readily speak their mind and some don't (me) and how it's hard to know when to do which because it's the right thing to do whether you feel like it or not. I was thinking about how life sometimes feels a struggle (for me) and how I often think that's the way it's supposed to be.

I've been thinking for a while of trying a new form instead of the haiku. For years now I've been writing haikus in my diary - ever since I heard David Kach read his Japan haikus at the Bridge Shul (Washington Heights Congregation). And I've been thinking of the sonnet. This is a pseudo sonnet (far from the real thing in some ways, close in others) that came out of the above swirls of thought:


Living and not living
in and out of time
catching missing blessing
moments sad sublime
experience remembered
getting polished scarred
long process redemption
holding up letting down guard
treading on the thin line
between human-hypocrite
between quickly sharing thoughts
or grinning and bearing it
G-d let him not grow lazy
him being known as me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shoshana said...

Beautiful, Rabbi Neil. I think most people (or maybe it's just me) can understand what you're talking about - It's hard to know whether the rewards will outweigh the gains and whether it's worth the risk of hurt to open yourself up. I struggle with this all the time. I just can't put it as eloquently as you do.

November 15, 2006 at 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rabbi Neil,

I really like your flower analogy but more so in that the flower doesn't appreciate itself or its colors and we as people elevate it to a higher status. Like you said it's your thoughts that elevate the momement and also lose the reality. It is like the person who appreciates the flower but is not just an eye and brain but a reality of their own. Sometimes I get caught up in getting flowers on certain occations that I don't remember this, but its the best I could do and thanks to your blog I can think about it.

November 15, 2006 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Keli Ata said...

Rabbi Neil,

This was a beautiful post, as was the analogy of the flower.


(btw, I stumbled across your blog as I was changing the profile on my own. I clicked on one of my favorite movies "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and a list of bloggers who like that film came on the screen. Your's had the name rabbi on it so I thought this would be a nice place to go.

What a lovely blog to find myself at.

November 15, 2006 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Keli Ata said...

Also, what you write about risking vulnerability and expressing true feelings is an ongoing struggle for me. I am by nature a quiet soul and rarely speak my mind, though of late I have begun to express myself when it seems important--either to comfort or confront a wrong. Confronting a wrong and especially expressing displeasure I think will remain a struggle for me.


And I never really felt comfortable around those who would say something insulting or hurtful (though true) to someone and follow it with, "I'm sorry but that's the way I feel." If they were truly sorry for saying something insensitive or cruel they wouldn't have said it, correct?

November 15, 2006 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you Shoshana. Yep. My readers and commenters seem to be of like mind. Out in the big world I think we're a minority.

S.J. - I first heard a form of the insight about flowers in the name of Rabbi Moshe Tendler.

Keliata - Glad you found your way here and are happy you did. I feel strongly about A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. The book and movie each have elements the other lacks and are both deeply touching. I once wrote a paper about the meaning of self, weaving together me and Francie.

Yes, you sound like your cut from similar cloth as me those who speak my language.

November 15, 2006 at 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home