Thursday, August 24, 2006

Just Kidding

"Humor is inherently ambiguous. You're saying more than one thing, and it's not clear exactly what the message is." That's a quote from the August Psychology Today. People like to say that humor is about surprise, as in 1,2, 3..15. Or, to give the usual example; guy in a new $1000 suit walks out of a club and slips an a banana peel. Or to to give the more common term; this is a non sequitur, and equals humor.

Subtlety, ambiguity, ambivalence are also part of humor. It's a big piece of what I see as funny. It's how I see writing too. Somewhere T.S. Elliot (I'm presently into citing people with two initials in place of a first name) (stay tuned for E.B. White, A.A. Milne. ee cummings, J.D. Salinger and more) (in fact, how many writers and/or others can you came with two initial initials?) writes that poetry is all about reframing, about taking away labels, about looking at things in a different way. (After that whole initial thing I just decided it my not be a T.S. Elliot quote.) (I am reminded of the time that a friend of mine decided that it might be a good idea to read C.S. Lewis, because Rav Aharon Lichtenstein had quoted him. But my friend's not a big reader, so he decided to get the Cliff Notes. But my friend doesn't have a great memory, so he got Cliff notes on T.S. Elliot.) Poetry is not about ambiguity for everyone and either is humor. But I think this opens up the differences between various personalities. Discuss.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shoshana said...

My friend helped me a little with this one (most of the ones I thought of right away were the ones you mentioned) - J.K. Rowling, T.H. White, R.L. Stine, L.M. Montgomery (though she uses her spelled out name also, but I just really love her stuff), D.H. Lawrence and E.M. Forster. I'm sure there are tons more.

August 24, 2006 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you Shoshana. I must confess not having heard of White or Montgomery.

August 24, 2006 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Shoshana said...

T.H. White write "The Sword in the Stone" and "The Once and Future King" (which I loved in high school). L.M. Montgomery is the author of the Anne of Green Gables books that will always be on the top of my list.

August 24, 2006 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Uri Cohen said...

Hi Neil. I looked up the line about Twain and found the source:

David Hawkins, "Being Mark Twain" (letter), NYT, Feb. 13, 2003.

The exact words are: "Hal Holbrook's half century as Mark Twain means that he has been Mark Twain longer than Samuel Langhorne Clemens was."

As for the poetry quote, if it is by T.S. Eliot, maybe it would be in his collection "The Sacred Wood
Essays on Poetry and Criticism." It's online at http://www.bartleby.com/200/index.html

August 25, 2006 at 2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home