Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Five Bloggers and Lisa Kron - The Princess of Five

Here are some blog posts that caught my heart:

There were many Yom HaShoa posts. This one, by Steg stood out in my mind. Personally, I had a tough call to make. The day of the Washington rally about Darfur was the day of the commemoration of a dear friend. In the end I knew that my place was at that memorial. I supported the rally Washington, by which I mean to say that I wanted to attend it. The Friday night beforehand the issue came up at a meal and someone said, "I'm not even going to ask why we're standing up for people who wouldn't stand up for us." I said that there are people who could say the same thing regarding us. The dialogue went on. I pushed myself to say more than I often care to and to explain the truth as I see it until the fellow conceded the point.

The following blog writer has taken a leave of absence. And I have no intention of disrespecting his decision. There are many past posts of his that I could choose. The one I've chosen by McAryeh is not The Best, but it is a good sample of the honesty, intelligence, and soulfulness of his whisper. May he be blessed to always feel close to G-d and to experience loneliness as seldom as humanly possible.

I am blessed with good friends, thank G-d. Occasionally I cherish them in my mind. There's one solid friend who I sometimes forget, because his friendship is so natural. The following writer is the blog version of the friend that makes it seem effortless, and so sometimes is less appreciated for her craft than she deserves to be. Here's a piece by Pearl that highlights her heart and her intelligence (each of the words at the end links to another person's blog).

I enjoy the following writer's open telling and reflecting about her life. This recent post by Shoshana is a great example of her strong writing and impressive ability to share in a tactful, helpful way.

Some days you just get hints. The following writer has more than a small clue. Her writing is remarkable (IMHO). One need (although one is certainly encouraged to) look no further than this recent post by Mirty.

In honor of the play Well, which I recently saw I will stop at five. About midway through this wrenching (and I mean that in a great way) play Lisa Kron tells of the party she went to as a child in which (despite her bitter experience at a similar party the year before) she can't resist being creative. Knowing that every other girl will go as a princess, she too goes as a princess. But her princess is original - The Princess of Five. She wears five watches, all set to five o'clock, five layers of clothing, etc.

I was very affected (effected?) (anyone?) (Pearl?) by this play. The first two comments here will be the Times' review and a recent follow up article in the Times (basically urging people to see this play and keep it "alive").

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about shloimetas?

May 10, 2006 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

"...that caught my heart."

What a beautiful way to phrase things, but, Neil...? You really are AFFECTED. (Erroneously, of course) You linked to that particular post of mine three times!

I'm glad to know that my words move you at times.

May 11, 2006 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Anonymous -I hope to do this again with other people. I think highly of shloimetas' writing - but I get a sense that he likes to keep a low profile.

Pearl - Three times? I had no idea.

May 11, 2006 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Shoshana said...

Even without the link working, I'm honored by the thought.

And Mirty, thanks also.

May 12, 2006 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I believe that the links are right now. Thanks for the heads up. Pearl, I thought you were saying that I'd linked to the post before - is that what you were saying or that I'd linked to you instead of the others? I still don't know if I should have written I was effectd or affected. Blogging has grown complex lately - reminding me of the play Well...

May 12, 2006 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

As I said in my first comment, you were AFFECTED, and yes I'd meant that you erroneously linked to me and my particular post instead of the other names leading to their posts.
And to comment on your last line of your last comment, I'll just say: All's well that ends well.

Mirty, thanks for the character reference. :)

May 13, 2006 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Shoshana said...

Pearl's right - you were affected. Affect is a verb, effect is a noun. I think.

May 14, 2006 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home