Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Teacher Is Thy Name

Part of the definition of "teacher" is the art and science of talking to yourself. I knew I'd made the ranks the day I first stood in front of my little teacher mailbox and asked the air, "what am I looking for?"

Of course some are better than others. One of the grand masters just walked into the teacher's room. "So are we gonna teach today or are we gonna babysit today?" she asks no-one. Another teacher says, "we're just gonna babysit." Sometimes teachers talk to themselves and someone chooses to answer; that's OK, part of the fine art.

"Where are my copies? Oh no! Oh here they are." There's nothing like listening to someone who's the top in their field. When there are visitors it might be a good idea to pair teachers up so it looks like they're engaged in conversations. Only because some people don't understand.

It's amazing that you can even say something that sounds like it's directed at other people; like hello. It's all in the delivery. The secret is to walk in, make eye contact with no-one,then sing hello loudly, while you keep moving, clearly focused on no-one but yourself.

3 Comments:

Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

A brilliant, succinct observation on one of the hidden parts of the "art and science" of teaching.

"Part of the definition of "teacher" is the art and science of talking to yourself."

I think that's true only for the great teachers. The mediocre ones think they're talking only to the students.

March 10, 2006 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Shloim, not so clear on what you're saying here...

March 12, 2006 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

I just meant that only great teachers know that they are talking to themselves... the mussar they give their students, the advice on study skills and the importance of learning, and the rebuke they give their students for being lazy, etc. etc.... are all also talking to themselves.

I know you meant it in the more literal sense (talking to themselves by the teachers' boxes, etc.). But I think it can be expanded to talking to themselves in the classroom too. Always.

March 20, 2006 at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home