Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tonight

I'm walking down 186th street and I see a clown approaching me. He's wearing the red nose and the white smile, the whole outfit. And I think it takes all kinds. As we pass eachother the clown says "Hey Rabbi Neil." I say hello back, figuring it's a YU guy who was my student, maybe going to an early Purim party. Then the clown turns around and says, "It's Chris." I never taught anyone with that name. "From the wedding show." Oh Chris, the original wedding planner in A Match Made in Manhattan. What are the odds? He was on his way to a gig in Washington Heights. Thank you G-d for mixing it up for me.

9 Comments:

Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Isn't that an ironic fear? Where does it come from? It's fairly common in kids isn't it? (As is fear of balloons - also ironic.)

Can you name the film of a few years back that started as the story of the most popular clown in NYC and ended up being the story of his family's dark past.

February 26, 2006 at 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

capturing the friedmans

February 27, 2006 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

(the first three letters of the word verification for this comment were MTJ - anyone want to name the institution that stands for?}

February 27, 2006 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Dick Cheney said...

Here's another little quiz: what movie was known as the Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies?

February 28, 2006 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger David said...

Shakes The Clown?

February 28, 2006 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Welcome Gawkers.

February 28, 2006 at 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mesivta Tiferet Yerushalayim, I think. Brad

June 19, 2006 at 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the wedding show--that's where we first met you, when it was at Levanna. I remember when I walked in,RN, you warmly greeted me. I was utterly confused and delighted--is he a real rabbi? Is this part of the show? Who is in character and who is not? We loved the evening! So funny about meeting up with Chris later--in a clown suit!

June 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Five years later I'd like to inform blog commenter Brad that he's our grand winner.

Aomonymous - I also remember when you guys walked in and were there. You were playful and "got it."

June 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home