Monday, February 06, 2006

Part Poet

Tomorrow I may actually finally meet Rabbi David Ebner (who will be at my school to administer bechinas for Eretz HaTzvi). In honor of the occasion I present the first part of a poem from his book Perhaps This Poem. There was recently a whispering soul discussion about poetry, etc. and Rabbi Ebner's name came up. Pursuant to that conversation I recommend the Forward's article: A Yeshiva Head Explores The Faith of the Poet.

Here's an excerpt that struck me: "It is a gloomy but inevitable fact that the special qualities of Ebner's voice will be obscured by the superficial oddness of his writing poetry at all. Ideally, Ebner would distinguish himself among many such voices in Jewish poetry, but for now he is working almost alone. The upside is that he has produced a book of candor and individuality."

Here's a free sample from the blog-yard. I find it well written and profoundly human.

PoemParts.com
Part I

In the age of dot com,
when every half baked idea
became a new issue
and tripled over night
and every idiot was getting rich,
I wasn't an idiot.
I was writing poetry
and staying poor.

In the age of dot com
I proposed a poetic prospectus
for a concept company
a cyberspace supplier
of spare poem parts.

(I would become the Bill Gates of poets
appear on the cover of Time,
Millionaire Muse CEO,
forever silencing parents:
"there's no money in poetry
you'll be waiting tables").
Poemparts.com

11 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

I'm here from Seraphic Secret. Where are the brain teasers? I get the disappointed feeling that was mistakenly referring to the trivia questions. Nice blog though. The poetry is good; I generally don't enjoy reading poetry, but I like yours sometimes.

February 7, 2006 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger T.Y.I.I. said...

Rabbi Fleischmann: Every time I compliment the poetry on your blog, I feel the urge to write the disclaimer, "I don't usually like poetry, but..." Could it be that you're converting me...? Egad!

Rabbi Ebner's poem speaks to the poet in all of us: many people are not poets of words, but have chosen to forego the dot.com's and similar lures for a life they find meaningful, productive and unique. Thanks for the encouragement and for conveying it in a way that only poetry knows how. (Of course, I don't usually like poetry, but....)

February 7, 2006 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

KTG - I believe Pearl meant that my writing encourages (requires?) thought. That's what she meant by brain teasers. (Not things like - if a plane crashes on the border of the US and Canada where are the survivors buried.)

Shloim - I understand, one worries what the boys at the office would think (as Wallace Stevens put it) (as quoted in the linked Forward article). Stay tuned the Ebner piece was part one. Still, on behalf of the staff and crew of the World Poetry Union I think you for your comments and for warming up to poetry.

KTG and Shloim - I don't usually like comments, but yours were not bad.

February 7, 2006 at 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it all about intention?

I understand the generalization, yet can't a dot.com-'er' be profound, deep, sensitive, and spiritual and find ways to live a life of meaning and productivity, putting their fingerprint in the world as only they can if that's the derech that speaks to them?
Can't one in chinuch, sadly at times, not be in the field to help others grow?

Just today I heard about a place in Yerushalayim called Karmei Ha-ir which is a restaurant for people who are hungry, where the food is free, the tables are set with tablecloths and there are waiters (volunteers), serving the meal. It's a space created to provide, in addition to physical nourishment, a respite from struggle and a place to regain dignity and be catered to. As my friend relayed this to me, I cried-because there are those who need this place and also because there are those who responded to another's need.
Karmei Ha-ir was the poetic response of a wealthy entrepreneur who wanted to consecrate his time on this earth and had the desire and means to do so in this manner.

I really believe there are all kinds of people in all walks of life capable of making differences in singular ways.

February 7, 2006 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Yes and it's great when you see good intentions being carried out in ways that don't fit stereotypes.

February 7, 2006 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

Karmei Ha-ir sounds like a wonderful, loving place.

Rabbi, I've never met a blogger who didn't like comments. I hope you like mine in the future as well.

February 7, 2006 at 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maayan, that is a great example of intention "out of the box". I would like to find out more about Karmei Hair.

February 7, 2006 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Kiwi - I was kidding, I like comments.
Maayan - glad what you wrote got nice responses, perhaps you want to writ emore about it?

February 8, 2006 at 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Rabbi Fleischmann.

February 8, 2006 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

Well, I showed once again how blonde I am. Humor is even more beyond me when there are no facial expressions. I pretty much need a smiley to get any clue at all.

February 8, 2006 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Rabbi Ebner. He didn't seem thrilled about the adjective the Forward used to describe him.

You're welcome Maayan, or as the South Africans say "a pleasure."

Kiwi - Just like we all have different faces and bodies, we also have different dispositions and souls.

February 14, 2006 at 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home