Monday, August 29, 2005

Why I Sort Through Old Papers

My grandfather used to cut out articles and pictures from the newspapers. He told me that he liked showing them to people to make people smile. He had scrapbooks full of them. And we'd sit together on his blue chair by the TV in the living room, him on the chair, me on the footstool, and he's show me the clippings. No-one in my family remembers this. Only me. but I know that it happened. What's more likely, that others didn't notice, or don't remember, or that I imagined a whole piece of life?

That memory, of my grandfather's newspapers comes to mind as I keep finding articles and cartoons that I've clipped over the years.

There's a little cartoon called Ching Chow with a saying everyday. I just came across one that reads: "the truth is easier to remember than lies."

I also found something in my own script that I don't recall writing. I must have gotten it from somewhere. In Hebrew it says, "Mah SheLoh Ya'Aseh HaSechel Ya'Aseh HaZman" - "what is not accomplished by intelligence, will be accomplished by time."

2 Comments:

Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Sweet memory. I also have memories of my granfather and his newspapers. It's good that you sorth through your papers, though...otherwise you end up with situations like this:

http://awhisperingsoul.blogspot.com/2005/07/one-mans-trash.html

August 30, 2005 at 2:58 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks. I read the post. And I discovered your blog, which I like very much.

There's a lot tosay on this topic, I'm presently debating how much I want to say and how openly...

August 30, 2005 at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home