Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Does the Rav Blog?

This morning on my way to the library a starry eyed YU student greeted me and I couldn't tell if I knew him or not. I asked him how he was and what shiur he's in as I fidgeted with my kippah. Just before I turned and entered the library he asked me, "does the Rav teach?" I resisted any smart alecky replies, realizing that he was addressing me in third person. I said, "yes I do," and went into the library. In debriefing the situation, it seems he did not know me, but I looked the rabbi type.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Does the Rav know [ ;-) ] if this third-person speech style is getting more common now than it used to be? I got the impression that it was very common in Israeli yeshivas, but until i saw someone start a comment on Rav Bechhofer's blog like that a week or few ago, i don't think i had ever seen/heard it done in English.

September 2, 2005 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I think it's been around for a long time, in American Yeshivas too. I've seen it over a period of time so long I don't want to say how long it's really been. I don't know yeshivish places well (though I think it's common yeshiva practice), but the Americans that go to yeshivot (what some call CHaRDaL) in Israel come back doing it.

September 4, 2005 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home