Thursday, July 14, 2005

In Wassaic

Is this a competitive feeling I feel outside the train station while I'm waiting to be picked up? It's a joyful time. If. If your people are there to greet you it's party time: people throw themselves onto eachother with hugs and kisses like a war's been won. Meanwhile those of us who's rides are running late stand on the sidelines and watch. The happy campers stand behind me, not noticing their ride honking, waving, whistling. So I wave back wondering if they were sent for me.

The context brings out people's effusive side. The more of a crowd there is, the more emotive the reunited pairs become. And there was a big crowd today. It feels like I'm last, and the fun and spectacle of being chosen have disappeared with the last SUV's two front doors that slammed shut like one heartbeat. Now, it's like being met by my ride on a plain street corner. I get in without a hug, without a crowd.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

You know I spent a few minutes reading your profile and I have to give you credit. At 103 it has to be a little bit harder to keep up the humor.

July 14, 2005 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

I don't understand, lulei demistafina, the title....

July 14, 2005 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Wassaic was the train stop/town that I was waiting at. It's not easy standing around when you're 103.

July 15, 2005 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I know Pflugerville. Just kidding.

July 16, 2005 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Wassaic, New York. Even though where I was travelling is in Connecticut. 3 staes are all in the Berkshires area. Go figure.

July 16, 2005 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home