Sunday, May 08, 2005

Sunday Blog

(By the way, for those who read the previous post; when I said "today" regarding the Pelcovitz lecture I meant Shabbos, as I was writing it late at night, even though the post says Sunday.

----------------------------------------------------------

For years I've kept diaries. It's a way of venting, an effort towards sanity. It's my world. I remember once staying in someone's house and needing to write, having forgotten my diary. I asked for paper. They didn't have any. I was shocked. How different people's worlds can be!

Sundays are challenging. I have a love-hate relationship with structure. So I struggle to do what needs to be done... It's 10:35 AM now and while I still wonder who reads this, as I don't get many comments or emails (fleischmann@mindspring.com) I will do one of my breaks to do things that must be done and will return at some point to write more as a self served reward.

2:30 PM now - Got a bit done, spoke to a few people. I wish I was better at embracing and enjoying down time.

A friend wrote that he/she likes reading about themself on my site and wonders "what's that about?" I don't know. I haven't read about myself on anyone's blog.

Friends of mine once had a guest for a Shabbos meal, a graduate school classmate of the wife. She told them her blog and they were shocked to read all this stuff about them on it! She had all these internal thoughts that she put in print that they never would have guessed; comments about them. the other guests, projections about what they were thinking, etc. That could be annoying.

So, back to the question - what is liking reading about yourself about? Part of it is that my comments were positive. Everyone likes being appreciated, though not everyone admits it.

I guess that some of us like reading about ourselves no matter what. I remember in first grade being told a story about a man who robbed a bank just to get his name in the paper. I've heard that some stars appreciate any publicity, even negative. Then there's the phenomenon of students who want attention, and sometimes will take that attention any way they can get it.

I'm going to post this because I want to post something else separately.

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

Publicity, positive or negative, shows that you're making an impact on people. I've experienced both, and it's a little unnerving even as it is flattering...

May 8, 2005 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Of course if we are to be mentioned in a blog or elsewhere, we'd hope it's due to something positive. Yes, we hope we've made a difference, whether small or astounding, in someone's life, in someone's way of thinking.
On the inside I'm smiling in a bashful way when someone chooses to give me or my blog credit for something. A week or two ago, I was linked on someone's blog post and was referred to as "witty" -- to be called that publicly is a wonderful compliment for me. The reading world doesn't realize that I came from a quiet, introverted self, and with the passage of time, I'm now recognized as "witty." That's a great feeling, as is being allowed to take up so much of your "comments" space!
Thanks for letting me have this mini-spotlight!

May 9, 2005 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you both for you honest, comments.

Counting this, I have now reached my record amount of comments.

May 9, 2005 at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home