Monday, May 09, 2005

Some time ago I posted a poem her called Did I Miss Anything? I've shared thyat poem many times and it always gets a strongpositive reaction. So, yesterday I looked up the poet, Tom Wayman, and found his email and sent him this note:


I don't know that you'll have the moment to read this. I just want to tell you how much I love your - Did I Miss Anything? As a teacher and human being it really resonates for me and has hit the spot with everyone I've ever shared it with. Thank you for getting it.

Today, I was thrilled to receive this response:

Dear Rabbi Fleischmann:
Thank you indeed for your response to the poem. As you know, poetry is sent off into the void and one never knows what adventures a poem will have unless one hears something back--positive or negative. I appreciate very much you taking the time to write.
Very best wishes,
Tom

Little things like this are very big to me, moments like this can make a day, make a life. Thank G-d for life.

3 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

A friendly gesture, some welcome words should make any writer/poet -- at both ends -- proud.

You told it like it is and Tom Wayman appreciated your words...and let you know that.

Thanks for sharing...on all accounts!

May 9, 2005 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Here's the poem:

---------------------------

Did I miss anything?

Nothing. When we realized you weren't here
we sat with our hands folded on our desks
in silence, for the full two hours

Everything. I gave an exam worth
40 percent of the grade for this term
and assigned some reading due today
on which I'm about to hand out a quiz
worth 50 percent

Nothing. None of the content of this course
has value or meaning
Take as many days off as you like:
any activities we undertake as a class
I assure you will not matter either to you or me
and are without purpose

Everything. A few minutes after we began last time
a shaft of light suddenly descended and an angel
or other heavenly being appeared
and revealed to us what each woman or man must do
to attain divine wisdom in this life and
the hereafter
This is the last time the class will meet
before we disperse to bring the good news to all people
on earth

Nothing. When you are not present
how could something significant occur?

Everything. Contained in this classroom
is a microcosm of human experience
assembled for you to query and examine and ponder
This is not the only place such an opportunity has been
gathered

but it was one place

And you weren't here.



by Tom Wayman

Poetry 180. Billy Collins Ed. Random House 2003

May 9, 2005 at 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh tom wayman is hilarious.Brad

March 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home