Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Jew's Real Haikus



---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on the title to link to an article about the ultimate Jewish haiku.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some haikus I wrote. A poetry teacher of mine suggested adapting them into a different style poem. For now at least I like them as haikus. Some fit together, but they're each a haiku. Some are stronger. Some will resonate. I'm going to push PUBLISH now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

once upon a time
will once be said about me
he once wrote haikus

boats on the water
how do they feel in the rain?
why do they remain?

it's only money
what poor people tend to say
i sometimes wonder

life is a postcard
we start out writing so big
then there is no space

only now is real
later is only a now
it just comes later

my student waitress
learned from me two years ago
now she brings me soup

truth, justice, and peace
three things let the world endure
shlosha devarim

trivia question
who's the father of free form
answer: walt whitman

hip, no longer young
you seem somewhat unhappy
you seem so human

seems so unhumble
shirtless sit ups in the park
he might be lonely

here's an irony
talented famous person
finds himself alone

saw carol miller
my old favorite dj
hospital, alone

i'm always waiting
right now i'm waiting for sleep
i'm tired of this

black sweater smirks back
as grey t-shirt nods his head
green jacket writes this

lilting jill sobule
sings"having a better day"
along with my thoughts

i feel far away
far away from a feeling
deep inside my blood

It's an icy world
and it's a beautiful place
It's a package deal

Have you seen my Alps
God will ask us all one day
All beauty is His

jews please understand
the world has only one G-d
and that G-d is ours

confidence attracts
self pity pushes away
give up, people run
----------------------------------
take care of yourself
because if you don't do it
then no-one else does

3 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

yes, your words i like
the rhythm flows below each
hoping mine does too.


you are a rabbi
and great talents you do share
haiku is just one.

(i've never written haiku; hope this qualifies)

May 17, 2005 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

for a first attempt
Pearl's haikus were really good
they sure qualify

G-d creates us all
each one with their own talents
and we try our best

May 18, 2005 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

I see that I like
Haiku poetry art form
with which to comment.

It makes me wonder
why I never tried before
to write lovely verse.

Perhaps because I
cannot write in syllables.
Requires too much thought.

May 18, 2005 at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home