Sunday, May 29, 2005

DVD Review: The Emperor's Club

The Emperor’s Club (2002)
DVD/Video Review

I saw The Emperor’s Club in a sneak preview when it came out a couple of years ago. Everyone seems to wonder how this movie compares to Dead Poets Society, or as one blunt friend put it, "it looks like Dead Poets Society" all over again.

At the screening I saw Jeffrey Lions spoke and said that he sees hundreds of movies a year and about three of this caliber. His thoughts got me thinking – how come no one ever complains that Die Hard II is Die Hard all over again? Even if people do whine about the similarities between action flicks, that doesn’t seem to hurt these films in the box office. But a movie about a dedicated teacher is dead in the water if there’s already been one movie on the subject.

Dead Poets Society was a Hollywood creation about an anti-establishment character portrayed by Robin Williams. The Emperor’s Club was originally a short story by Ethan Canan. It is a subtle story with out suicide or rancor and stars a complex, understated Kevin Kline.

This film includes no sex, very tame cursing, and an ethical theme that is gently put forth throughout the entire production. Without giving anything away I’ll tell you that this story becomes clear after half the movie has passed and things jump about thirty years forward.

I liked this movie because it held my attention, even though I was tired when I saw it. It is beautifully made in terms of the acting, the scenery and the way the story unfolds. Maybe I’m biased, but I feel that there aren’t enough movies made about teachers. This joins Dead Poets, Mr. Holland’s Opus, and several others. It has more in common with the latter than the former. It probably has more in common with Goodbye Mr. Chips than with contemporary films about teachers. But it is not without its own twist.

I enjoyed the movie so much that right after seeing it I ran out and got the book it’s based on. As much as I liked the movie, I liked the short story more. The book is usually better than the movie. Generally, I try to see the film and then read the book. This way, it’s like researching extra explanations of the movie. In fiction you get internal dialogues and other background that a movie can’t provide. By reading the book second you get more, rather than the disappointment you get when you do it the other way around.

The book answered any questions I had regarding the movie. Some Hollywood touches, like a baseball incident and a love interest, are not in the book. The climax is handled better. While the movie is sophisticated and reflective by movie standards the book wipes the floor with it in this realm.

I recommend that you see this film – even if you’ve seen one of the small handful of other teacher movies. Why see junk and not see a good, moral tale? My friend Aaron Bulman – may he rest in peace – once suggested that frum ("Orthodox") leadership should give guidance as to what movies are the better ones to see, given the reality that people go.

If you have specific questions regarding the appropriateness of the content of this film, I recommend screenit.com. Rent or buy this movie. Then go out and read the even better book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zoe Strickman said...

You're right -- for those frum Jews who still see movies and enjoy them, it would be good to have a movie review from an Orthodox source. "At the point 30 minutes into the movie when the green alien walks in, COVER YOUR EYES!" :)

June 7, 2005 at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home