Thursday, May 12, 2005

Another Night

It's 6:05 PM, just got home from work pretty recently. On the way home I stopped at Radio Shack and got a universal recharger that'll work for any cell phone. In Radio Shack the row of TVs broadcasting one news story demanded my attention. Right nearby where I live a supporting wall of a highway collapsed. The casualties are not yet known.

Joseph Telushkin writes in his book Jewish Values about complaining to a mentor of his (Zalman Schachter Solomni) about how many noisy ambulences are always passing him in NewYork. His rabbi told him that instead of focussing on the annoyance, whenever he heard the sirens he should pray for whoever the ambulence was for. A good point.

I hope anyone who may have been affected by this accident will be OK.

Right after I typed this they just announced on WCBS radio that firefighters have reported no casualties from the accident. Except for the traffic.

As I was walking from the bus terminal I heard a lot of sirens. The newscaster just said he hasn't seen this many emergency vehicles since 9/11.

A newscaster on TV said that this was one of those things that you had to see on TV, that radio couldn't do it justice. Maybe.

I found out about it through a fluke, by walking in somewhere where there was a TV. The same thing happened a while back when I walked into the local kosher pizza store and saw McGreevy's unexpected resignation speech from start to finish.

My reality is that I don't own/do TV. Recently posted a poem about this on Mimaamakim. Some of the commenters interpreted this as religious elitism. It's not.

It's a different life, not having a TV. It's my life. Every now and then I see TV and it's a big deal for me.

I'm going to post now and go try to do life a bit, other than writing.

G-d Bless,
RNF

1 Comments:

Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

I liked the Homesick Restaraunt a lot. (Accidental Tourist, didn't read - saw movie. I'm sure the book is better, worth reading. She's insightful into human nature. It's amazing how she creates characters and worlds (and often jobs) that are a bit unreal while being so really on the mark.

May 12, 2005 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home