Thursday, May 19, 2005

All Work and No Play...

Yay!!! (I don't believe there's an age limit on that phrase). I finished writing my college recommendations. In the past I've had around 40, but this year it was lower - more like 8. I'm talking about an essay that 6 different teachers have to write about an eleventh grader. Then the college guidance office puts them all together into one. As I was giving in the last few the head of C.G. told me how much she liked a specific one that I wrote. It was about an academically challenged student that has the most spiritual, sincere soul. I was very effusive and I believed every word I wrote. She asked permission to show it to he student's mother. Why not?

Two students next door to the office where I'm writing this are visiting from college, having graduated last year. They're talking to a rabbi/teacher about how much they've grown up this year. They're sharing their GPAs, comparing notes. One of them is pre-med. The teacher asks if that's a major. This teacher has a reputation for being smart and with it. To me, it's a simple fact that pre-med is a thing you do, not a major. They're talking about competition of an academic type. "A lot of stereotypes have been put to rest," one says. He's taking "orgo" in the fall, volunteering in a children's hospital at St. Peters Hospital. They're going on and on, talking about part time business jobs and clients.

They have no idea how young they are.

When people are speaking a foot away from me I experience their words, hear what they say. I don't mean to eavesdrop, but if you talk right next to me I will hear you.

Now they're talking about Israel after HS. These boys are being a bit defensive putting down a lot of friends who went for the year. And putting down the fact that they feel that kids were pushed by the HS to go. Some kids, they say "were looking for a quick fix in Israel and now they dropped out and they're working for their dad." One of them says that they were told last year that it's for everyone, but he disagrees. Some kids use it as an escape he says. These kids are done with their semester; this rabbi better be careful, they could shmooze forever.

Now, they're talking about a program that I run, not realizing that I am here and hear. This is why I keep a taperecorder in my office, so that if I want to I can play it and not hear the talk around me. I bought it after the first time I heard a student talking about me through the wall.

"I actually feel like I'm getting such a good education," one says. He's talking about "a kid who's consevadox-ish, I guess, who came to go to our college in NJ from LA..."

I must push publish now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home