Monday, May 23, 2005

3 Posts In 1



Haikus of the Day

Love neighbor as self
Hillel says that's the whole thing
plus commentary

Reminders abound
everywhere I look I see
Yerushalayim


Event of the Day

Tonight I stepped into Dougie's and looked at a kid and he looked at me. After years of teaching this happens a lot: I see a young person that has the look of a typical student and I'm not sure if I know them, and if I do where from.

In the second that I met eyes with this young man the usual thoughts rushed through my head; Camp or school? Which one? When?

As I'm pondering, he comes at me and asks if he knows me. I say "maybe." Tell him my name. He asks if I taught in a certain camp. Bingo. He gets happy and excited. "I knew I knew you the second you walked in. Yeah, from Camp X. I knew it. How are you. Blah blah blah." And then another question shoots through my head and as I'm considering this one he nonchalantly answers my unasked question by saying, "you threw me out of your shiur."

In my years of teaching I've thrown out maybe five kids from class. And generally that meant asking them to go to the authorities and be dealt with one time and return. But in this case I actually insisted this fellow not return to my class, and the request was granted. It made sense, as his behavior was so egregious.

Here he was, happy to see me, referring to the event in a matter of fact way, seeming to understand the justice of it, harboring no resentment. He shook my hand several times and gave me a hug and we parted ways.

I sometimes have issues setting boundaries. This was a reminder that people are not so fragile. Letting someone abuse is never right. Letting them abuse you is not good for you or for them. In fact people (and that's what students are) appreciate your assisting them in drawing lines that they know they need but can't set for themselves.

A lesson to be learned in the classroom and in life.

Link of the Day

Long Live the Joke

According to this article in the NY Times ( Seriously, The Joke Is Dead ) people don't tell old fashioned (introduction-set up -punch line) jokes any more. Today it's all one liners, or irony, or observation, or insult. So they say.

I remember after I won the contest for Funniest Rabbi in NY a prominent rabbi came up to me after the performance. He complimented me and kibitzed a bit. Then he offered me advice saying that my routine was good but the traditional Jewish jokes I did at the end should be skipped. After he walked away Freddie Roman, a veteran comedian, and the emcee of the evening who had been standing nearby came closer and said, "don't knock the old jokes. they got you laughs."

Indeed standard jokes get laughs from many people in many places on a daily basis. Several comedians that I know who perform in Jewish settings do the same thing as me - do their own stuff and then finish with a few classic old style jokes. The old form serves a great need. One could suggest a holy need. And I believe that reports of the joke's death have been highly exaggerated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home