Monday, March 28, 2005

Rain and Raymond Carver

It's time for bed, as the thoughts fill my head. It's raining and feels like it will be in the morning, but what do I know? If it is raining in the AM this would be an apropos poem. But not for me, I will have work - the big faculty Purim skit is tomorrow, plus classes as usual-ish.

Before Aaron Bulman died he found a Raymond Carver book in his apartment's basement and got very into it. One of the poems he liked and read aloud spoke about approaching death. After Aaron died I bought Carver's complete poetry book. People who think they're in the know praise his stories but dismiss his poems. Those really in the know, kow how good his poems are. I think this one's my favorite:

Rain
By Raymond Carver

Woke up this morning with
a terrific urge to lie in bed all day
and read. Fought against it for a minute.

Then looked out the window at the rain.
And gave over. Put myself entirely
in the keep of this rainy morning.

Would I live my life over again?
Make the same unforgivable mistakes?
Yes, given half a chance. Yes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Natusik_NYC said...

I live in Eureka, where Ray used to live, in fact wrote much of his work, everytime it rains this poem comes to me.

October 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks - this comment and its timing are very meaningful to me.

October 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home