Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gut Vuch And G-d Bless

There was a time when I prided myself on not having a TV. I still do, but it feels less justified. Not having a TV used to mean more time with oneself. Today a computer has moved alongside TV. (There's an email I received years ago that I've looked for online and been unable to find about a house guest who stays briefly at first. Eventually he moves in and becomes a negative influence on the home. At the end it's revealed that the guest is TV. Anyone know where I can find this?)

A friend of mine (half of a couple of friends) recently asked me (in a nice chat the three of us had together) why she gets so anxious from minor situations (like a broken escalator) regarding which the anxiety will not help (which is generally the rule). She came up with a couple of theories on her own, wanting me as a sounding board more than to provide The Answer. One compelling explanation she offered was that anxiety is a distraction. As long as one is busy being upset about the Macy's escalator one doesn't have to look inside or even outside closer to home.

Walking home from Shul tonight I thought about not going online. I recalled a time, not long ago, when going online wasn't an option. Part of me said that to myself, "Self, that was a healthier time." But another part of me said, "You'd have used the time writing in your diary. Now you write on your blog, which one could argue is better" (and of course, one could argue is worse).

David Wolpe writes this week in his "Musings" column,"After listening to his advisers offer him conflicting economic advice Harry Truman burst out in frustration: 'Can someone get me a one handed economist!" Wolpe says that the Greeks gave the world the idea of looking at things on one hand and then the other. Perhaps, like me, you thought that was Tevye's contribution. In any case there are two sides to every question, including the issue at hand of typing online.

I have more to say. I think what I've said so far is the blogging equivalent of a conversation stopper. So I'll so sign off for now.

Good night and G-d bless
He wrote to the world wide web
Wondering who read

9 Comments:

Blogger chany28 said...

Cute insight...Just wanted to let you know that I read and by wishing a gut vuch and nice cheerful greetings...You are certainly doing a speedy cyber mitzvah and causing many to smile! A gut vuch !

July 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM  
Blogger esqcapades said...

Amen. A blog is for one hand and a diary for another. TV has no imput. The blog and diary are not mutually exclusive. The blog provokes - and offers food for thought - you only need answer yourself in the diary.

July 19, 2009 at 2:19 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you Chani. I tried to comment on your post from June about the internet and everyone being plugged in in general but had trouble getting it to stick. So, I'll paste it here - and if you want you can put it in the comments: Thank you for writing this well done, personal/universal piece on something I think about often.

Thank you Esqcapades for the thoughtful comment. The challenge for me is that there are generally not just two hands but eight. On the other hand...

July 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once read that everything in life is a double-edged sword. There may be a few exceptions: prayer, for example. But for the most part, anything can have both good and bad effects.

The degree of irritation we all feel about small things is a mystery to me. Comforting, at least, to know it is universal. Also, when you are dealing with big problems (cancer, death), sometimes it will be a little thing -- like a broken escalator -- that makes you break down and cry.

July 19, 2009 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Touching and well put with a lot of food for thought in there. Thank you.

July 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tevye is possibly my favorite character in musical theater. He tries to live his life according to the laws, but then there are those gray areas that get him going with his "on the one hand" deliberations. This makes his stand against the youngest daughter's marriage request all the more powerful... You know his heart breaks as he refuses to bend the rules for her and banishes her from the family.

Blogging, the Internet, Facebook... oy, I don't know. I'm afraid it may take up too much of my life, but here I am again. :-)

July 19, 2009 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger The Bug said...

I've read the TV email before - I almost think someone like Paul Harvey wrote it (or maybe that's just an urban legend). Maybe I'll see if I can track it down for you - unless I decide to weed my flowers instead of staying stuck to my keyboard :)

July 20, 2009 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Anne. It's cool that you like Tevye so much. I relate to Tevye's weighing of things - seeing every side. On the other hand (sic) I think it's sad that some people base all their knowledge of Judaism on Fiddler (ala Beau Jest). It's sad because it presents a stereotype with an undercurrent of ridicule dressed up as admiration. (Bet you didn't see that harangue approaching).

Thank you "Bug" (wish I had another more proper name for you). It was kind of you to comment on this post. I visited and enjoyed your blog. I particularly liked your post on Weight Watchers. I think many people get caught up in the points and miss the approach. A friend of mine claims that her mother went to meetings and all they did was share recipes, so she chose to go to OA instead. I think what proobably happened is that this person had a hard time accepting that Weight Watchers is about the process not the points/recipes.

I wrote a bit about this topic here - http://rabbifleischmann.blogspot.com/2009/07/its-time-to-say-good-shabbos.html

Anyway, thanks again for commenting.

July 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger uriyo said...

I hadn't heard the Truman quote. Thanks! Rabbi Wolpe's article is at http://www.thejewishweek.com/viewArticle/c54_a16316/Editorial__Opinion/Musings.html

July 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home