Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Grrrrrrrr

Today someone apologized to me. I was hurt and upset by what they had said to me and how they said it. Very upset. I made that clear to them. And then I stewed. And the person realized how upset I was. And the person sought me out and apologized. Now all's good again. Someone I've known for a long time. Someone who I've always gotten along with. Someone who I can be good with again. I will let go of the fears of passing the person and it being awkward. We'll move on and it will be fine. Thank G-d.

The mishnah in Avot says there are four temperaments when it comes to anger. The implication is that no-one doesn't get angry. People pretend to be that way, but it is not so. Also, there is no-one who is angry constantly, although some people pretend to be that way too. You're either slow to anger and quick to calm down, or quick to anger and slow to calm down, or quick to anger and quick to calm down, or slow to anger and slow to calm down. The mishnah rates each type - see if you can rate them yourself. Also, if anyone cares to share about your own anger inclinations please do so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sholom said...

I'm a קשה לכעות ונוח לרצות. Unless I happen to be interacting with a Lubavitcher, in which case I'mנוח לכעוס ונוח לרצות.

The צד השוה is that I'm usuallyנוח לרצות, which can be attributed to the influence of קטורת הסמים.

October 31, 2006 at 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be good to be slow to anger and quick to calm down. I'm not. I'm slow to anger but then very slow to calm down. If hearing an apology doesn't do it, sometimes a long walk helps.

October 31, 2006 at 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home