Sunday, July 24, 2005

Today

Most of my best friend are rabbis. Recently one of these friends surprised me by sharing that he didn't want to be considered a rabbi anymore. I'm not sure you can do that. And either is he.

Another friend of mine's father is a rabbi, and has disowned the title. His son always introduces his father as Rabbi X, but his father always protests.

I have gotten used to the title. I fought it a lot at first. I didn't want to finish my requirements. But now it's like part of my name. Of course it's more than that. Perhaps I'll write more about this at a later time. Perhaps.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Today is a fast day and I'm trying to be in the right place, physically and spiritually. I took a late train home from the Berkshires so that I'd be in a more conducive setting for the holidays. Sadly, up at camp getting a minyan was a struggle over Shabbos. I got it, but not without a fight. And it's not a fight I wanted to pursue on this day.

There are many worlds that are real if you live in them, but don't exist to people who remain unaware. One of these realities is the phenomenon of the Jewish senior camp.

I am about to name a name. I often hesitate when naming names. Even if people know who I'm referring to it feels more appropriate to not say the name. Recently my virtual friend Mirty put in a meter for me that tells me how people find my site. Almost every google search that lead someone to my site was the search for a proper name. So naming names helps people discover my site and yet I hesitate. Still, I'm about to name a name of a dear, wonderful friend.

Rabbi Richard Kirsch introduced me to the world of the Jewish senior camp nine years ago. Wow. There are still a bunch of these camps, even though quite a few have gone under. When the new director started at the camp I work in now he tried to encourage donations by reminding people that a very similar camp had just closed. Anyway, these camps court old traditional Jews. And they get funding from federation. I've encountered three personally and know of the others second hand. These camps tend to be run by non-"orthodox" people, but to have kashrut supervision and to keep Shabbos, etc.. Richard does a great job at these camps and I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him. He asked me to fill in for him at one of them nine years ago. That was a rough one. I felt that they were anti tradition. The one I work in now is better. I've been doing Passover here for five years and hesitated about the summer, because it gets a less "frum" crowd. Sometimes it's nice to be courted and the director courted me till he got me to commit.

The first group that was in the camp for the first two weeks included people who wanted to be there before the Three Weeks started. The new group is more of a mixed bag. There were people that asked about davening,etc, but no-one asked about the fast day. I gave a pitch about it last night. Still, it felt better for me as a person, to get out for this day (my contract only obligates me till the end of Shabbos.)

I'm feeling a bit weak, wanted to write a bit about the day before I fade out. I had the great merit of hearing Rabbi Moshe Aharon stern speak several times live. It was from him that I heard and felt the idea of how the Beit HaMikdash reminded us strongly of G-d's presence and how that's what we long for.

May we merit to see the Temple rebuilt. Please G-d soon. We need redemption so much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Most of my best friend are rabbis. Recently one of these friends surprised me by sharing that he didn't want to be considered a rabbi anymore. I'm not sure you can do that. And either is he.

Another friend of mine's father is a rabbi, and has disowned the title. His son always introduces his father as Rabbi X, but his father always protests.

I have gotten used to the title. I fought it a lot at first. I didn't want to finish my requirements. But now it's like part of my name. Of course it's more than that. Perhaps I'll write more about this at a later time. Perhaps.


I'd be interested in reading that. I wrote a bit about my thoughts on that here and have a couple more posts to add to that line of thinking.

July 24, 2005 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Are you an Orthodox rabbi? Do you have a pulpit? I am just curious.

July 25, 2005 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

One of my original lines that I'm most proud of is that people always ask me where are you a rabbi and I reply, "everywhere I go."

My main thing is teaching, in a Modern Orthodox High School. I had a part time Shul for about 7 years, small.

I hate the title Orthodox. I think it is a recent term coined by other recent movements and has a negative connotation. My ordination is from Yeshiva University and i'm what the world would call orthodox.

Jack, I liked your piece. i'm not reaedy yet, but one day will write more about being a rabbi.

July 25, 2005 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Cool. I'll be waiting.

July 25, 2005 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying about the word "Orthodox."

I get confused about all the different religious flavors....MO, Orthodox, Chasidim, Chabad, ultra-Orthodox. Maybe you could do a post explaining the different nuances of each.

My zayde was an Orthodox pulpit rabbi and he thought the kabbalah was a bunch of hooey.

July 25, 2005 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home