Wednesday, July 06, 2005

My Name Is Natah 2

A few Shabboses ago I met a shy girl named Netah. I didn't chat with Netah, but I did speak with her mother, who is an Israeli Hebrew teacher in a Yeshiva day school. Israeli teachers tormented me when I was a child by telling me that my name was illegitimate. When I told them my name was Natah, they said I must mean Netah, which is what they proceeded to call me. Netah is a lovely name and I hope that the many Israeli women who are named Netah enjoy their name very much. But I am not an Israeli woman. And my name is Natah.

At sixteen I interned with Tzvika the art teacher in a Israeli camp. He paid little attention to me and called me Netah. In another branch of the same same camp years earlier I realized this was a tough battle to win. When I was ten I wrote a reflective essay in the camp paper. Next to the essay and the byline, which were in Hebrew with no vowels, was a thought balloon coming out of a drawing of a contemplative little girl. My brother enjoyed teasing me over that.

The correct vowels under the letters of my name are a kamatz under the nun and a patach under the tet. So it should be pronounced exactly like similar words with the same vowels. for example bet-reish-alef, with a kamatz and a patach, is barah. So nun-tet, ayin, with a kamatz and a patach is natah. Not so complicated.

When I told Netah's mother my name, she said "the same as my daughter." I pointed out that Netah has a segol - eh - sound, and that it's an Israeli name, while... "Actually it's not an Israeli name, it's a Yiddish name,"she interrupted. "No it's not," I was almost shouting. Natah is a Yiddish name for a man. Netah is an Israeli variation for women. Not so complicated.

To be continued...

6 Comments:

Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

There is Rav Nota Greenblatt of Memphis. You're in great company.

July 6, 2005 at 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. There is also Rabbi Nota Schiller of Ohr Sameach.

July 7, 2005 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Is the stress on the first or last syllable?
NA-ta‘ or na-TA‘ ?

July 8, 2005 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

The stress is on the first part.

There's was also a Rabbi Natah of Chelm, which was actually a town of great scholars.

July 8, 2005 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger A Simple Jew said...

There is another famous person with Natah in his name Rabbi Nassan Natah Hanover. See here:

http://asimplejew.blogspot.com/2005/06/chaf-sivan-20th-of-sivan.html

July 11, 2005 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks.

A wise friend of mine thinks that the Nasan Nata combination is probably not based on their appearance together in the birchat hatorah. He thinks it's just one of those pairs that go together like Menachem Mendel or Dov Ber.

This Shabbos I met another Masan Nata at Isabella Freedman Retreat Center. He said it's a Hungarian name that is often paired together.
He shareds the name with a cousin, named for the same uncle.

I share my name with a cousin named for the same uncle too - Nata Zev.

July 11, 2005 at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home