Saturday, October 29, 2016

6:59-9:15

6:59 PM - I love writing. 

7:09 PM - Spent the last 9 minutes of my life trying to scan and find and share a picture.  Technology is a challenge for me sometimes.

As I was saying, I love writing, the flow of the pen on paper. And the clicking of the finger on keys is not the same but sometimes it will do.

7:20 PM - Checked emails and Facebook.  Yes, went down those rabbit holes.

Need/want to call dad.

So many thoughts free-flowed throughout my Shabbat (and past few days) of being sick...

7:27 PM - Emailed back and forth with friend and set up to talk after I find phone and call dad.

7:31 PM - I just thought of a line that I won't say if I one day - please G-d/please me - get married, "I'd like to thank all the people who didn't stop believing this would happen for me - both of you."

7:43 PM - Spoke to dad.  A friend of his passed away.  The wife is my friend.  We taught together in a small setting twenty fie-ish years ago.  Dad was surprised that i found the shiva info on line.  He's by far not the only one who doesn't realize what you can find by googling.

A friend of mine is very into the site Mi Yodea which has answers for almost any halacha or hashkafa question you could think of.  When I pointed out that some are wary of this he reminded me that people were wary of the writing of Torah She'Be'Al'Peh.

7:59 PM - I looked at a lot of sefarim over Shabbos and did some reorganizing.  I couldn't find a Sichot Mussar essay on Breishit so I learned the one on Noach.  He was just so remarkable in how he used his genius in a non-show off-ey way to take meforshim and agadatot and pesukim and frame them in a fresh and brilliant light of mussar and truth.

8:18 PM - Out some things in my cart at Amazon.  Cold reklated stuff.  Not for now, for later.

Amazing how fast time flies by.  A wise man once said that the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.  Yes.

8:30 PM - R. Schmuelewitz cites the Kli Yakar who pauses on the instruction Noach receives regarding the supplies he needs to take for all the creatures he'll be housing (Breishit 6:21)


וְאַתָּה קַח-לְךָ, מִכָּל-מַאֲכָל אֲשֶׁר יֵאָכֵל
וְאָסַפְתָּ, אֵלֶיךָ; וְהָיָה לְךָ וְלָהֶם, לְאָכְלָה.

Take with you all the food that will be eaten
and keep it in storage. It shall be food 
for you and the animals.


The Kli Yakar borrows from a Talmudic inference in another textual context and says that the word 
 לְךָ implies that it must be from what you own.  

9:15 PM - The basic and beautiful idea that R Schmeliewitz develops is that in order to ruly love, care for and connect to all that lived Noach had to give deeply of himself.  he gave everything he had, which is what we need to do in our love for others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home