Sunday, May 01, 2011

Rabbi's Blog: May 2005

Looking back at May of six years ago, via this blog, I came across a post called Link Heaven. In that post I say Goodnight and G-d Bless (as edited correctly by Pearl) for the first time. Also I site a haiku by Richard Wright, which I forgot about when I thought I discovered his haiku for the first time years later.

Like a link heaven
a haiku and blog filled post
windows of wonder
- Neil Fleischmann

The neighing horses
are causing echoing neighs
in neighboring barns
- Richard Wright

In May 2005 I mention the passing of Rav Wolbe, the mussar giant of our generation. He passed away 6 years ago on Peasch. I wish mussar didn't get a bad rap with people who ignorantly critique a talk as smacking of mussar. Mussar is our friend, mussar is a nudge to do the write thing, mussar is, in essence, self refinement - the purpose of our lives.

A little boy was flying a kite. The wind was strong so it was a good day for it. He continuously released string, as the kite soared to the sky. An old man passed and asked the what the kid was doing. The boy said he was flying a kite. The man pointed out that there was no kite in sight, only a taught string leading to the clouds. The boy insisted that his kite was at the end of the line. The man demanded: "How do you know the kite is there?" The boy replied, "I can feel it's tug."

We have the tug of our ancestors inside us. Many of us, like myself, have been blessed with parents that value and passed on Jewish tradition. It would be wise to heed the spirit of the Avot inside us. We must foster chesed,gevura/avodah, and Torah in ourselves and our community. As long as we feel the tug, there is hope
(posted here).

In May, 6 years ago, Richard Joel told the story about the kite at graduation and every graduate got a kite. I'd been telling that story for about 20 years (and posted here) and a dear friend remembered. I wrote about it all here.

I told a story in this month at that time about bumping into a student who I'd kicked out of my class for good. I met him years later and he seemed to harbor a fondness toward me as his teacher. It got me thinking:

"I sometimes have issues setting boundaries. This was a reminder that people are not so fragile. Letting someone abuse is never right. Letting them abuse you is not good for you or for them. In fact people (and that's what students are) appreciate your assisting them in drawing lines that they know they need but can't set for themselves."

I think I used to write more openly here when I was confident that no-one was paying attention (sic).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I think I used to write more openly here when I was confident that no-one was paying attention (sic)."

That must be a conflict: wanting attention and not wanting attention. :)))

Sharon

PS Link Heaven-I love that title! I often think that's why we're here-to link earth to heaven.

May 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thanks Sharon,

Yes, it is a conflict, and a blog is just the right (right?) arena for one with such a conflict. Blogging allows you to feel hidden (if you don't get double digit comments on most posts) and revealed (knowing it's out there) at the same time.

On the internet
once it's out there it's out there
Also true in life

I remember you liking that title - Link Heaven.It's cool, and difficult to carry out, way to view our life purpose, linking earth to heaven. Not easy.

I thought I first used that phrase on a later post that had a lot more links in it. It was on my list of possible book titles, along with Good Night and G-d Bless, then the title came to me out of left field.

May 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home