Sunday, April 03, 2011

"Random Thoughts, Do They Have Meanng?" - Jack

I'm feeling bloggy.

‎"Sometimes, to lose balance for love is part of living a balanced life." - Ketut Liyer
I think this quote can be broadened. Being imbalanced is part of our striving for balance, part of balance itself.

I have three reviews pending for my book. Exciting? That's one word for it. Scary. And I'm not sure it's rejection I'm most scared of.

I'll tell you a secret. Move closer to your screen. Good. I'm arranging poems for my next haiku book. I have over 100, kneina hara - poo poo poo. And - here's the shocker - I'm keeping them off of my dear blog.
No one has ever requested a haiku, and they get few comments. As a book, the feedback is much stronger than on the blog.


I'm honored that a friend that I recommended this song to listened to it five times and cried as she remembered a recent visit to her childhood home. She was drawn there and got there as it was being demolished. She was able to enter the living room of her youth for one last time in her life.
  • Are we all actors? Is all the world a stage? If yes, who's the director. Are you hearing the direction?

    David Wolpe had a nice piece in the J Wk about how we're supposed to be humble like Har Sinai. The question then is why the Torah wasn't given in a valley. The answer is that we're supposed to be a mountain, but a small mountain. My favorite line: "All of us struggle to navigate between inflated self-regard and worthlessness."

    I say goodbye to someone on my cell phone and then they say goodbye. Then I need to take the phone away from my ear to find the off button. Inevitably, other person starts talking again as the phone's in my hand and just as I'm pressing the button and it comes off like I'm hanging up on them...This happens on the regular phone too, I've realized, I have to move it away and my people tend to start talking again just then. When Eddie Murphy (and I) were very young he was interviewed by Barbara Walters and he was just this thrilled boy in a candy store (the candy store being his new ginormous house). She was inspired by his joy of life. Their chat flowed. She asked him about his early days in comedy. He , surprisingly, remembered fondly a bit he did with a group he worked with. The whole scene was two Jews saying goodbye. "So long Murray." See Ya Sol"... "How's your wife Murray?" "Fine." "And Yours?" Fine." Goodbye." Goodbye"..."Business?" This was before he did an old Jewish man, famously, in Coming To America.

    ‎"People don't tell you what they mean, so you don't know any more about them than about what a dog dreams."
    - Robert Duval/Felix Breazeale/Bush
    Interesting point, you never know. And more interestng is that the person themself doesn't know.

    Life is simple, people are complex. - Rabbi Simcha Weinberg
    What do you think of that?

    It's national book week. The rules: Grab the closest book to you, turn to page 56, post the 5th sentence. Don't mention the title. Copy the rules.
    "He had been in Washington only a few weeks before he telephoned Jeane to request an appointment."

    Eat Pray Love mercifully reverses the life chronology of many people, which is Love Pray Eat. - Roger Ebert

    If only we think of our physical lives, then in a sense we are dying with every passing second. - Amanda Parker

    Unseen, untold - is unsold - old salesmen's wisdom shared with me by retired used car salesman Barry Kessler.

    Avraham and Sarah's chesed was unique in that they did small deeds filled with big love. Ma'aseh avot siman lebanim.

    Now is a great time to broaden your scope of influence. - Tonight's Fortune Cookie

    ‎"Lonelieness is the window to G-d" - Rav Avraham Baharan

    Not being much inclined to social networking my presence on Facebook brings to mind a moment from my youth. It was Passover and all us kids at the Melbourne hotel were playing Risk. I announced at the start, "Let's make a deal, I won't attack anyone's country and no-one attack me." It got a big laugh. I wasn't joking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jack said...

Avraham and Sarah's chesed was unique in that they did small deeds filled with big love. Ma'aseh avot siman lebanim.

Well worth remembering.

April 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Glad you liked that. A dear friend mentioned that to me. I don't know the original source of that take on it.

April 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home