Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Saw Something I Never Knew

Tomorrow night is my mother's yahrtzeit (sic) (sigh). In the previous post I cited Zelda. This poem is inspired by and dedicated to 3 important women in my life. I am appreciative of the feedback this poem has received (see comments).


My Balance Was Removed

h
Speaking of my mother's death
on the phone late that night
the lady bug appeared

A creature I hadn't seen
since childhood -
maybe thirty years.

Still, she looked as striking;
eight divine black on red spots.
I gazed closely and counted.

She crawled gracefully
as I transferred her
from pen to paper

And then I saw something
something I never knew
and my balance was removed

Lady bugs can jump
and fly
to Heaven

5 Comments:

Blogger Pesach Sommer said...

Yahrtzeit is a tough time. Thinking of you. Beautiful poem.

December 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous lavender garden said...

this is a beautiful poem; really, really nice and different. thanks for sharing.

December 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Thank you PS. I know you're with me.

Thank you LG. The poem is influenced by Zelda's style (I think), and by my mom, and by the person that I was speaking to while the experience took place.

December 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Miss Trudy said...

How wistful and lovely. The essence of bittersweet.

December 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Miss Trudy,

Thank you for the succinct, articulate, high praise. I love and appreciate each word you chose.

December 15, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home